20 lb. Turkey
Makers Mark Whiskey
1. 20 pound turkey
2. Brine Turkey 24-48 hours in Williams Sonoma Brine mix. Add additional Bay leaves or Laurel for a more pungent flavor.
3. Add Makers Mark Whiskey to Brine. (Use at your discretion)
4. Soak wood for 24 hours- Use Ozark pecan chunks and Ozark maple chunks. Each bag is 300 cu. Inches.
5. When soaking the wood, put a touch of dishwater detergent in the water. This will help eliminate any oils from the wood and will addist the wood to smoke longer.
6. Put orange and apple slices in the cavity of the Turkey, until filled. Usually one orange and one apple will do just fine.
7. Place your Turkey on a V-rack and pour orange juice in the drip pan. (Place on Kamado Joe.)
8. Spread one stick of butter on the top of the Turkey.
9. Note that after 1 hour of smoking, use brush and spread Makers Mark over bird.
10. Place two thermometers in each thigh of the bird to get an accurate meat temperature of 165 degrees.
11. Smoke Turkey on the Kamado Joe at 225-250 degrees. (Heat up to 300 degrees after 2 hours for about 30 minutes then restore the temperature to 225-250 degrees).
12. After two hours of great hard smoke on the bird, place 1 package of Archer farms Hardwood smoked Bacon on top. (Use toothpicks if needed). Do not place bacon on turkey before two hours. You want to be assured that the skin has a nice “smoked look” before adding the bacon.
13. Take the bacon off the Turkey around 7-1/2 hours of smoking and continue to smoke until Turkey is to your satisfaction.
14.Happy Eating!! When you are finished eating, you may need forty winks.
Total Smoke Time: 9 Hours, 20 Minutes