- Only compatible with Kamado Joe Classic and Big Joe
- Compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi Networks
- Not compatible with 5GHz WiFi Networks
- Mount the iKamand adaptor onto your charcoal grill. Video instructions
- Power on your unit
- Download the iKamand app
- Create an account and sync your device
- Start Cooking
- Kamado Joe Classic Vent Adaptor or Kamado Joe Big Joe Vent Adaptor
- 1 Pit Probe
- 1 Food Probe
- 12V DC Power Adaptor
- 1 iKamand Controller
- 1 Plastic Cap for your Vent Adaptor
- Do not expose to severe rain and/or storm
- Do not expose to corrosive materials
- Do not throw into the pool or fire
- When ending a high temperature cook, unmount your iKamand and store it in its case
How to check the version on your app and iKamand
iKamand App: Press the Kamado icon in the top right of the home screen to navigate to Devices and scroll down to see the version your app is on.
iKamand Device: Navigate to Devices page to see the version your iKamand is on.
Does the iKamand work using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?
The iKamand uses Wi-Fi to allow you to use it remotely. It may support Bluetooth in the future.
Can I use the iKamand without Wi-Fi?
- Your iKamand must be connected to the internet in order to function properly. You can use your Wi-Fi router or your phone's or tablet's personal hotspot. To use your personal hotspot input the credentials in the connect process then and only then go to settings and turn on your personal hotspot.
- If you're in an area with no Wi-Fi network, you can still use your iKamand if you connect it to your personal hotspot.
- If you're in an area with poor internet or cell connection, you may need an additional router or Wi-Fi extender to use your iKamand.
- If you don't have internet access at all, be it through personal hotspot or a Wi-Fi network, there's a manual button which you can use to start the iKamand fan for 10 minutes
What temperature range can the iKamand control?
The iKamand can control between 150°F/ 66°C to 500°F/ 260°C. The temperature probes are rated for a maximum of 600°F.
Can I register one iKamand on two phones/devices?
You can use the iKamand on multiple phones/devices but you must be logged into the same account. You can transfer ownership to another account by going through the Connect process on the new account you wish to transfer the device to.
How do I restart or reset the iKamand?
- To restart the iKamand: unplug the iKamand, leave unplugged for 5 seconds then plug it back in.
- To reset or change the iKamand Wi-Fi settings, navigate to Devices (Kamado icon in the top right) → Swipe left and press Change WiFi.
My grill temp is different from my dome temp. Why?
The temperature reading at the grill plate may be different from the dome temp because they are in different locations and the grill plate is closer to the fire or above a deflector.
- Keep your probe on the grill plate at least 2-3 inches away from your food. This temperature is the temperature your food is cooking at and is most accurate.
- Over the course of your cook, your grill temp and dome temp should equalize. This may take a few hours. You may need to shut your top vent very slightly to encourage the iKamand fan to run and circulate air in your pit.
- If you're using deflectors to cook, make sure the probe is above a deflector and is not above direct heat.
- If you still want your grill and dome temp to agree, hang the iKamand pit probe through the top vent around the same location as the dome thermometer.
Is my iKamand waterproof?
- The iKamand has a waterproof coating on the major electronic parts to prevent weather damage or moisture damage. It is waterproof but will not withstand submerging in water or extreme weather conditions. We also recommend storing it in its waterproof case when not in use.
- The waterproof coating prevents water damage in the power and probe ports. If your rubber port coverings are loose, your iKamand should still be able to withstand light water exposure.
- You may see condensation or liquid/water droplets on your iKamand after a "Low and Slow" cook. Wipe your iKamand down and leave to dry before using again.
iKamand Device Updates
Do I need to be near my iKamand during the update?
No, you can be anywhere during the iKamand update. The update is initiated from your iKamand app. Make sure your iKamand is turned on, near your router, and connected to your Wi-Fi before starting the update.
What if my phone turns off during an update? What if I sign out during the update?
After pressing the update button, you can turn your phone off or sign out of the app. Your iKamand will start the update and finish without any involvement from your phone or mobile app. Check the mobile app to see when the update is successful.
An update is available but my iKamand is being used to cook in BBQ or Grill Mode. Will the update start?
If your iKamand is in Grill or BBQ mode, the update will start as soon as the mode is finished. Leave your iKamand on and connected to the internet.
How do I know if the update worked?
If you’re logged into the mobile app, you will get a pop up alert when your update is successful. If you navigate to Devices (Kamado icon in the top right of Cook tab) you will no longer see an update button and your iKamand will be on the most recent version. The update should take 10 minutes but can take up to 30 minutes.
My iKamand update was unsuccessful. What should I do?
The update may be unsuccessful if your iKamand is disconnected from power during the update or has poor internet connection. Move your iKamand closer to the router and try again.
How to Update Your iKamand
- Check for the latest update by opening the iKamand app and navigating to Devices (Kamado icon in the top right of Cook tab) page.
- If there's an update available, you will see an Updatebutton on the Devices page.
- Make sure your iKamand is on and connected to the internet. Press the Update button to start the update.
- If you are using the iKamand in Grill or BBQ, your iKamand won't start updating until the update has finished.
- If your iKamand doesn't start updating you will see a message in the app saying "The update was initiated, please wait for it to start.", and then an alert saying the update did not begin. Try updating again by pressing the update button.
- Do not turn off the iKamand during the update. If you turn off the iKamand, the update will stop.
- If your iKamand is turned on, it will continue with the update.
- Your update should take around 5 minutes, but could take up to 20 minutes depending on your iKamand's internet connection. Your iKamand LED will flash teal and then will turn off for a few minutes during the update.
- When your update is successful, you will receive an alert in the app and a notification if you have notifications enabled.
My LED turned off during the update
- Your LED may turn off for up to 5 minutes during the update process. If the LED does not turn back on, unplug and plug the iKamand back in then wait for 5 minutes.
- Leave the iKamand plugged in and connected to power. If after 10 minutes, the LED does not turn on, turn the iKamand off and on again.
- If your iKamand doesn’t come online and the LED doesn’t turn back on, contact customer service.
Can I control multiple iKamands from my account?
Yes, you can control multiple iKamands from the same account on the same device (phone or tablet). You can add as many iKamand devices to a single account as you want.
My iKamand app isn't updating. What should I do?
Your iKamand app should update automatically if your phone has internet connection. Navigate to Devices (Kamado icon in the top right of Cook tab) and scroll down to see your app version. If the app version isn't the latest available:
- Close and reopen the app a few times to see if the latest app was installed.
- Go to your app store and install the latest version of the app if one is available.
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling the iKamand app and login to your account again.
How do I update the app?
In general, if you close and reopen your iKamand app, it will automatically update to the latest version. If it doesn't download the latest from the App Store or Play Store.