Steak and Shrimp Fajitas
Hot and Tasty with plenty of sizzle.
|Prep Time||4 hours|
|Grill Used||Kamado Joe|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
1 lb skirt steak
1/2 lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 large onion (peeled and sliced with the grain)
2 bell peppers (various colors and sliced lengthwise into strips)
6-8 large portabella mushrooms (sliced with stems on)
2 jalapeņo peppers (sliced in rounds)
1 fresh lime
Olive oil or vegetable oil
1 fresh lime (juiced)
1/4 cup tequila (or substitute wine vinegar or red wine)
2 cloves garlic (smashed and finely chopped)
1 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
Iceberg lettuce (chopped)
In a mixing bowl, add the ingredients and whisk. Place the skirt steaks and mixture in a Ziploc bag. There will be just enough mixture to cover the steaks. Roll up the steak and lock the bag with as little air as possible. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours (I marinated them for 4 hours). Prior to grilling, wipe or lightly rinse off the marinade, pat dry and lightly coat with olive or vegetable oil to prevent them from sticking to the cooking grate.
1. Preheat the grill to 425°F
2. Use a fajita skillet or standard skillet that can be placed on your grill. Wipe the skillet surface with oil and place on the grill to preheat (about 10 minutes)
3. Place the fajita ingredients in the skillet less the shrimp.
4. Grill until the vegetables are soft, but not mushy (about 10-15 minutes)
5. Place the shrimp on top of the vegetables and place the skirt steaks on the grill for 1 minute each side.
6. Remove the steaks and allow them to rest while the shrimp finishes cooking (3-5 minutes)
7. Slice the skirt steaks with the grain in thin slices. You can add them to the top of skillet ingredients or serve separately.
8. Serve with the side dishes and warm the flour tortillas. Tip: Place each side of the tortilla under running water and place on a dinner plate. Heat each in a microwave for 20 seconds.
9. Squeeze the juice of a quartered lime over the sizzling fajitas and serve.