Paella on the Kamado Joe
Spanish Paella with Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Grill Used||Kamado Joe|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
|Meat||Seafood, Chicken and Sausage|
- 2-3 chicken thighs or breasts cut into large pieces
- 2 Italian sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped or 1 cup diced creole mix
- 2 tbsp minced garlic or 10-12 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2-3 bay leafs
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas (optional)
- 1 pound of shrimp, shelled
1. Preheat Kamado Joe to 325-350 degrees. If available, place heat deflector metal stand on top of fire ring. Place cooking grate directly on Heat Deflector stand.
2. Heat Paella pan (or large flat sauté’ pan). Add a small amount of olive oil, chicken and sausage. Once browned remove and set aside on a plate.
3. Add onion mix and garlic to the hot pan and sauté’ until golden.
4. Add diced tomatoes.
5. Reduce heat to 225-250°F.
6. Add rice, chicken broth, white wine, bay leaves, red pepper, sweet peas, chicken and sausage.
7. Bring to a simmer and cook with Kamado closed for approximately 20 minutes.
8. Add the shrimp and continue cooking for approximately 10 more minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. ENJOY!