This is a simple recipe that gives a great result, thanks to my Spanish friend Alejandro for showing it to me.
You can use local fish and add some Saffron strands to the stock, some Peas at the end.
|Prep Time||3 hours|
|Grill Used||Kamado Joe|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
1kg small rock fish (or fish bones)
12 Mussels (cheap ones for stock)
(add any cheap shellfish you like - optional)
4 ripe Tomatoes
1 Spanish (red) Onion
3 Liters Water
Optional - a few Saffron strands
1 1/2 Spanish (red) Onion
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 Gloves Garlic
1.5 kg Tinned Tomatoes (crushed)
1/3 Cup Paella Rice per person (similar to Arborio)
1/2 kg green Prawns (2-3 per person)
200g Squid rings
3 Mussels per person
Optional - Crab
1. Finely dice the onion and cook in olive oil until soft and golden.
2. Add the rock fish or similar local fish or use fish bones, add the tomatoes (quartered), Mussels
3. Cover with water, bring to boil and cook on medium heat uncovered for 2-3 hrs
4. Sieve and retain liquid, you can add a few strands of saffron for extra taste
1. Whilst the stock is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce.
2. Finely dice 1 1/2 Spanish onions and cook in olive oil until soft & golden (approx 20mins)
3. Remove 1/2 the onions and set aside.
4. Add crushed garlic & cook for 5 more mins, then add tinned tomatoes and cook slowly for 1hr
5. If tomatoes are too acidic add a little bit of sugar to sauce
1. Prep your Kamado (or stove..) & add a diffuser plate, place your paella pan on the diffuser plate.
2 Add the previously cooked onions and 1/2 the tomato sauce, cook for 5 minutes
3. Add the seafood prawns, calamari, mussells and any optional shelfish you like (this slightly overcooks the seafood but infuses the flavour through)
4. Add the rice (1/3 cup per person) stir through and cook for 2 minutess, then slowly add stock 1/2 cup at a time (like cooking a risotto), this will take approx 20mins
5. Close the lid on the Kamado and cook for another 5mins then server & enjoy
Tip: you can add all the stock (2/3 cup per 1/3 cup of rice) in one go, close the lid and cook at approx 350f for 20 minutes, add the seafood and cook another 5mins, this way will give you a traditional crust on the bottom of the pan