Buttermilk Turkey Brine
For a different twist, here’s a Buttermilk Brine I like for a Holiday Turkey
|Grill Used||Kamado Joe|
• 3 quarts buttermilk
• 3 small onion, finely chopped (or use 1/2 cup chopped shallots)
• 6 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or use 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
• 6 tablespoons kosher salt
• 6 tablespoons sugar
• 3 teaspoons cumin (can use up to 1 tablespoon) (optional)
• 4 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1.In a large bowl mix or whisk the buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin (if using) and black pepper until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved.
2.Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
3.Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture; toss with clean hands to coat the chicken in the mixture.
4.Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8- 24 hours. I go for 24 hours.
5. Rinse the chicken quick and just slightly under cold water to remove the onions and garlic if desired before cooking or grilling. Actually last time I didn’t rinse it at all, and I like it the best.
6. Grill as you normally would. I recommend using wood chunks along with your lump. Pecan or apple work great.